[mythtv-users] What themes are people using with .22?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 21:29:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Another Sillyname
<anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I ask because I'm using metallurgy widescreen and the Watch Videos
> screen appears to be borked only using about a quarter of the screen.
>
> Favourites and why please?

My decision comes mostly from the Watch Recordings screen, as I don't
spend so much time in the MythVideo section.

First, I can't get my puny brain wrapped around the "horizontal"
layout of Terra and Graphite, so they are out.

Another thing I look at is the number of recordings that show up on a
page -- more is better.  Mythbuntu and MythCenter (Widescreen) have 9,
and Blue Abstract and Metallurgy have 7.

Fanart backgrounds are nice.  Mythbuntu is the only one of these four
that includes it.  Another post offered a one-line change to enable
fanart in Blue Abstract, but the effect is not good unless you add an
alpha to the buttons to make them semi-transparent, similar to
Mythbuntu.

You may also care (I do) about the quality of the icons for recording
attributes.  For example, I like to be able to easily see whether
commercial flagging has been done or whether I have made a cutlist.  I
think Mythbuntu has one of the better icon sets.

I customized my main menu to add several items to go into the Watch
Recordings screen with a particular group filter already set (e.g.,
Watch Movies, Watch Kids, Watch Grownups, Watch All).  Because of
this, I prefer a grid layout.  Metallurgy already does this.  It's
easy to modify Blue Abstract to do this.  Not so easy for Mythbuntu
unless you like your menu text smashing its associated image.

Someone already mentioned that Metallurgy is officially incomplete.  I
have noticed that if I bring up the program guide from within Live TV,
the frontend crashes.  Not good for the WAF...

In the end, I use a modified Blue Abstract.  Mythbuntu is my close
second choice.

Jim