[mythtv-users] Trouble with two HD-PVRs on one system

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Nov 2 19:53:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 10:37:39AM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 10:23 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > Do you know if two HD-PVRs would play nice with an unpowered USB hub?
> > I'm finally happy with the cable management between my A/V stand and
> > Myth backend and having to run a separate cable around to the front
> > messes that up. ?If it would work, I could mount a small hub on the
> > back of the stand and run one USB cable to the back panel.
> I have not tried that, but I could.  I have a hub around here somewhere ....
> I will let you know.

That would be nice.  Thanks.

On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 12:05:47PM -0500, ryan patterson wrote:
> The HD-PVR is not powered by the USB bus so you should have no problem
> running them off an unpowered hub.

I'm not concerned with the power.  It's the bandwidth and signaling
I'm worried about.  In theory, a USB 2.0 hub should be quite capable
of handling two HD-PVRs and the HD-PVRs shouldn't care if they are
going through an external or an internal hub.  In practice, though,
you never know until you try.

David Engel
david at istwok.net