[mythtv-users] Small front end???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Nov 2 18:25:29 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009 09:10:38 mat wrote:
> > Just cam across this on Engadget... thought peeps might be interested.
> >
> > http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/xbmc-arm-port-teased-will-manage-hd-pl
> >ayback-from-pocket-sized/

I'm not sure how they figure to get HD playback, that CPU is certainly not up
to it, and I don't see any hardware on-board that could help (no VDPAU or
other decoding hardware like the Broadcom unit), not even XvMC-capable video
hardware.

It will take more than software development to get HD out of this board. With
that CPU the best you could hope for would be SD MPEG2 playback, certainly
not h264. Pure software decoding with a 600 Mhz. CPU is limited to DVD type
video.

Note that the laptop makers stopped putting hardware MPEG decoders in their
machines about the time that CPUs hit 600 Mhz., these were Pentium 3/4
(Coppermine core) processors.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org