[mythtv-users] Please help with WAF!

Justin Garrison rothgar at 1n73r.net
Mon Nov 2 00:57:14 UTC 2009

For those that don't know: WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor
I am using Mythbuntu 9.10 (MythTV 0.22rc) with 1 HDHR and 1 HD-PVR and so
far, with the help of many, I have been able to solve almost every problem I
have come across. The current 2 issues I cannot figure out and I hope
someone can help me with is:

1. I only have 1 tuner that can watch/record all my premium channels
(HD-PVR) and that being so it is recording a lot of shows. My wife however
loves just watching live TV (I am trying to break her of this habit), but if
the HD-PVR is recording she cannot watch anything unless she goes into
"manage recordings -> upcoming recordings" and then stops the current
recording show. Is there anyway to allow her to stop a current recording
from the program guide or live tv (or at least prompt her to stop the
recording)? I know if something is about to record on the current tuner you
can tell it to not record and just watch TV instead but I can't find a way
to do the same thing if the recording has already started. Please help cause
other than this "feature" my wife is almost sold on using MythTV.

2. My sound levels are really off. I am using a Gigabyte board with onboard
Realtek ALC889A. My TV is plugged in with the standard 3.5mm -> RCA
(composite) jack. The HD-PVR is a lot louder than the HDHR but both are
still much quieter than just the cable plugged into the TV or cable box.
Normally my TV volume is set to 10-20 but with MythTV (live TV and
recordings) I have to have the levels at 20-40. With the AC on and recording
from the HDHR, I sometimes have to go up to 60-70 volume levels. I have the
system volume already set to 100% and I can't figure out a way to make it
any louder. Is there some sort of audio booster, better Realtek driver, or
another external soundcard someone would recommend that may be better
supported? I also would like to have the option for optical audio so that
would be something to consider with a second sound card.

Thank you guys for all your help and I look forward to any suggestions or
fixes you may have.

--
Justin Garrison
1n73r.net