[mythtv-users] Audio upmixing in 0.22

ken dinoshifty at mailshack.com
Sun Nov 1 20:42:12 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> 2009/11/2 ken <dinoshifty at mailshack.com>:
>
>> I have just noticed the ability in 0.22 to upmix stereo to 5.1 ac3 audio.
>> The question I would like to ask is what method does mythtv use to upmix to
>> 5.1 ie: does it use dolby pro logic or similar and are there any advantages
>> to letting mythtv upmix the audio rather than feeding stereo to a AV
>> amplifier and letting the amplifiers dolby pro logic proccesing etc decode
>> to 5.1.
>>

> This option isn't in 0.22 but in trunk (0.23).
>
> The upmixer uses libmythfreesurround ; and can decode prologic.
>
> The advantage is that you don't have to constantly change mode on your
> amplifier..

Sorry for the slight confusion I was running your testing repository and
I have just realised that it includes the extra backports, however I
have Just updated to mythbuntu 9.10 using the official repository and
the option is still there.
Personally my amplifier switches between pro logic and 5.1
automatically, however the sound quality does seem to improve slightly
by letting mythtv upmix the sound.