[mythtv-users] Quick opinions

Matthew Keefe learningtehlinux at gmail.com
Sun May 31 19:09:19 UTC 2009

I guess part of the problem is that I'm no sure exactly what kind of
viewing/transcoding/comflagging I'll be doing as this will be my first
mythtv experience...that works anyway :)

I like saving energy for both fiscal and environmental reasons, but
having been out of the hardware loop for so long I'm not sure if there
are benefits to the Kuma core over Brisbane.  Being a cautious man and
wary of buyer's remorse I think I'm going to go with the newer kuma.
If I find that it is too much power draw then I'll switch to the
5050e.

Thanks for weighing in guys.  Happy viewing!

On Saturday, May 30, 2009, belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> Robin Hill wrote:
>
> On Sat May 30, 2009 at 10:22:07AM -0700, Andrew Burgess wrote:
>

> On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 13:13 -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
> Andrew Burgess wrote:
>
> So the beefier 95w one uses less energy for a given amount of work
>
> How did you come to that conclusion?
>
> If it ran twice as fast at twice the power it would only run half as
> long so use the same energy (energy = power * time). But it runs more
> than twice as fast so would run less than half as long so less energy.
>

> You're misunderstanding the figures then - the 2.6/2.7 quoted earlier is
> a ratio, not a multiplier (i.e. about a 1.04x multiplier), so in fact
> the faster processor is a lot _less_ efficient.
>
> For those inteterested in Computing power per Watt
> http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/211/1/
>

> Cheers,
>     Robin