[mythtv-users] Quick opinions

Patrick Oglesby octoberblu3 at gmail.com
Sat May 30 14:41:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Matthew Keefe
<learningtehlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've decided that for the performance I'm getting, the rig that I'm working
> on isn't cutting it.  So, I'm going to sell all the parts I won't be able to
> reuse and build a new machine from scratch.  Unless someone hates this mobo,
> I'm going to go with an Asus M4N82.  The M3N78-EM is also a nice board, and
> if dollars start to get pinched I may go with that one instead.
>
> My question is between two processors, both AMD:  the Athlon 64 X2 5050e 2.6
> GHz 45w Brisbane or the Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz 95w Kuma.  Both are the
> same price on Newegg.  Brisbane uses half the wattage, but the Kuma is a
> newer core.
>
> So, thoughts on the subject?  I'm looking for subjective reasons here, based
> on your Myth experience to date.  Is it better to get the newer core or the
> lower power?  This is for a combined BE/FE recording HD (hopefully) from
> cable and perhaps OTA.  Reasons for your choice welcome :)
>
> Thanks guys!
>
> --

Consider how much you use your system.  Is it transcoding /
comflagging many recordings a day?  If so, I would go for the beefier
CPU and just make sure you have a cpu frequency governor working so it
will clock down when it's not in use.  Otherwise, if the slower
processor is constantly running full tilt, it may not be saving you
much power at all.

Also consider how much power costs in your area.

Good luck,
Patrick