[mythtv-users] Myth/HDHR impressions & issues

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Fri May 29 16:24:03 UTC 2009

>> I am using QAM sources from the cable co.  I wonder if that has
>> anything to do with it?  I know the quality is not as good as ATSC,
>> but I get more channels this way.
>
> I'm pretty sure that this doesn't haven't anything to do with the HDHR as
> commercials are flagged after they are recorded and the HDHR simply receives
> the stream from the broadcaster without any modifications.

I agree, but I think it may actually be possible.  The ATSC stream is
whatever the broadcaster sends out (good quality).  The QAM stream is
re-encoded by Comcast and sent over their network.  From my limited
knowledge on the subject I believe comcast applies much more
compression than the original stream had (to save bandwidth at the
cost of image quality).  My theory is that this extra compression
makes comm flag unhappy.  If the original poster also uses QAM my
theory holds, for now, if they use ATSC we can toss that theory out
the window.