[mythtv-users] silent and low-power: AMD or Intel?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu May 28 17:39:31 UTC 2009

> Sorry I was not very clear. If you build your backend using an i386
> iso of mythbuntu, there is no way of loading an amd64 diskless client
> image onto the backend to support an amd frontend using the amd64
> mythbuntu packages. The LTSP/ubuntu MythControl Centre packages don't
> support this. You can however go the other way and if you have an
> AMD64 backend, you can build an i386 image for the frontend.
>
> If you work outside of mythbuntu and run the commands on an i386
> install to build an amd64 frontend, you can actually download and
> install all components by specifying --arch amd64 from memory, but at
> the completion, when it tries to chroot the image on the server to do
> some things, it falls over. Sorry can not remember the error
>
> Or perhaps I am totally wrong here and need to be corrected by someone
> in the know...

I think I understand now. But this is a 64-bit vs 32-bit problem not
an AMD vs Intel problem. The amd64 ISA is used on all 64-bit
processors from Intel and AMD (which is virtually all new processors).
So from what you are saying the problem arises if you have a 32-bit OS
on the backend, then you will have trouble making a diskless image for
a 64-bit frontend. However, this is also a moot point since all of
these processors work in 32-bit or 64-bit mode. That is the whole
point of the amd64 ISA, it is extension of the existing 32-bit x86
ISA. So worst case you end up creating a 32 bit diskless image for
your frontend and you experience marginal decrease in performance for
some applications and you are limited to 4 GB of RAM. Not having to
tried a mythbuntu diskless setup I can't say for certain, but from
your description this seems to be the issue.