[mythtv-users] More on Audio over HDMI, Volume Control and AC3 Passthrough

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu May 28 03:51:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Lindsay Mathieson <
lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Further to my testing over the weekend, I tried what
> Jean-Yves suggested and removed my /etc/asound.conf
> altgother (don't have a .asoundrc) and it made no
> difference.
>
> When I use ALSA:Default for the device sound and vol control
> still works, but Pass through does not. AC3 & DTS sound just
> comes through as static.
>
> If I use (from memory) plughw:0,1, sound works, though
> Volume control doesn't. Pass through still does not work.
>
> So to summerise:
> - Passthrough does not work with any combination of device
> I've tried
> - Sound & Vol Control works with ALSA:Default
> - Sound works with plughw:0,1, Volume control does not

I do not believe you can get the volume control to work with passthrough.
 Passthrough is just that, it passes the signal through and does not decode
it thus it cannot change the volume.  In addition, you probably actually do
not want Myth to change the volume as it would degrade the audio signal.

Please look at this if you have not already done so:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=AllensDigitalAudioHowto

Most people find that following this will solve their digital audio issues.
 Let me know how it goes.

Allen