[mythtv-users] silent and low-power: AMD or Intel?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu May 28 00:06:45 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/5/28 Ryan Allen <ryan at the-summit.net>:

> Please forgive me, I havent read the past discussion.  However, this
> makes no sense.

It didn't for me either :)

It was a concern for me as since upgrading to Jaunty, frequency
scaling stopped working and my E8500 is stuck at its maximum speed
(3.16GHz) while it was running at 2GHz previously

> If reducing the frequency reduces the CPU heat output, but does not
> reduce the overall power consumption, where did the energy that was
> being spent as heat go?

When you lower the CPU frequency, the external data bus isn't slowed
down (unlike AMD for example). So the overall system continues to
operate at the same speed.

And measuring with my kill-a-watt meter confirmed it, it made no
difference between running my CPU at 2 and 3.16GHz