[mythtv-users] silent and low-power: AMD or Intel?

barbex barbex at gmail.com
Wed May 27 22:49:37 UTC 2009

> Now, the subjective question: do you prefer a 199€/40Watt EeeBox with USB
> Stick or the 700€/400Watt dream machine? It's up to you...

Well I'm sort of aiming for the middle ground!  I'm also a member of
the "weak-wallet" club.

My current underpowered and overtaxed system is drawing 210 Watts
according to my cheapo metering device. I would like to beat that in
better performance with less Watts.

Now if I look on AMD's website they give the TDP for the 45nm
processors with 95W and a AMD Phenom 9650 costs 114,00 € (ouch!). But
a 65nm processor like the Athlon X2 has a TDP of 45W and the AMD
Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core 4850e is only 59,00 €, now that's more like it!

I think I will take the 4850e as a starting point and fit the rest of
the hardware to it. I think I can put together a system with an 80+
powersource and other basics and stay close to 300,00 € that way.