[mythtv-users] Questions concerning backend sleeping and ACPI with appletv frontends

Kevin Robbins robbinsck1 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 19:24:00 UTC 2009

Hello all- I'm looking for  some answers to a few of the last questions I
have regarding sleep/wakeup on my backend.

My first question, I have a script the runs to check and see if anyone is
logged on and if so it halts the shutdown procedure. Seen below

Is there a way to have it check to see if a mythweb session is open or if
someone is using mythweb interface then halt the shutdown AND halt the
shutdown if theres any network activity or a frontend is actually waching
something as well?

I ask this because I have 2 appletv frontend that are always on (cant be
shut off short of unplugging) and they seem to keep the backend alive all
the time because they are a connected frontend. SO, really what I need to do
is allow the backend to shutdown as long as the backend is not serving the
frontends with LiveTv or viewing a recording etc. Is this possible?

My other question is, when it comes to waking the server via lan WOL. How is
this done? Do I need to install something on the server (UBUNTU)? Is it
really as simple as putting wol MA:AC:AD:DR:ES in the Mythtv-Setup box and
having the frontend wake up the backend?

A few details of my system below

MasterBackend in the basement with 2 500 gig drives in raid 1 with OS and
database and 4 1tb hd's in Raid 5 so 3TB of storage
A regular pc frontend only with HD capabilities running a frontend with 56"
DLP tv (self contained os)
2 Appletv front ends running sd tv's (self contained os...if i could get
them to network boot I would have everything diskless)

It was a little shaky but I was able to get my backend to go to shutdown and
wake up using bits and peices from the following "how to's"

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup#User_experience
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Detailed_configuration_Backend
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/WhatNext/ACPIWake

My backend Motherboard is a superMicro C2SBC-Q and seems to be rock solid
and very stable (FYI)

Anyway...I have shutdown/wake up working as needed on the master backend.

I turn on the backend it opens Mythwelcome (I had to add a delay like the
following or it would come up before the backend and say "Can't connect to
backend")

Edited /home/mythtv/.config/.desktop
mythtv.desktop
Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=MythWelcome
Comment=Use this session to run MythWelcome
Exec=/usr/bin/delaymyth.sh
Icon=
Type=Application

added this file and made it executable

/usr/bin/delaymyth.sh
Code:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 5
SESSION_MANAGER=""
unset SESSION_MANAGER
/usr/bin/mythwelcome
SESSION_MANAGER=""
unset SESSION_MANAGER
sleep 2

(another FYI)

PreShutdown Script...

#
# MythShutdownCheck
#
# checks to see if any other user is
# logged in before idle shutdown
#
# returns "1" if yes, stopping shutdown
# returns "0" if ok to shutdown
#

# to not shutdown during mythcommflag process, uncomment the following line
# ps ax | grep -v grep | grep -q mythcommflag && exit 1

if last | head | grep -q "pts/.*still logged in"   # check for active
*remote* login?

then
   exit 1

else