[mythtv-users] HD-PVR

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed May 27 17:48:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 18:20 -0400, Steve Reilly wrote:
> greg wrote:
>
> >> I have TW in the Albany,NY area...They have fire wire turned on
> >> here...You can get them to turn it on,but you have to be
> >> persistant...It's the law...Don't call on the phone go to your local
> >> service center...
>
> i dont know maybe ill try again. i remember about 6 months ago i was
> playing email tag with tech support, they kept escalating me to others
> and the last response i got was something like....... "firewire is
> turned off for customer use", and they copied and pasted the same fcc
> regs i sent to them back to me, that they had the right to encrypt (5c i
> think?) and they either didnt want to do it or couldnt do it at that
> point i cant remember exactly which.  i  just wanted to screw with it
> and see if it worked but i could never get anything out of plugreport
> from either port on the box so i assumed it was off. im in norwich by
> the way, and thanks for your input.

Steve, what TW told you is incorrect. 5C can only be enabled for certain
channels, and the channel changing must work. If they refuse to rent you
a functional box they are acting criminally. Your best bet is to call
your local regulator (at the city or town level) and depending on the
contract they negotiated they may be able to charge Time Warner millions
of dollars per day until they rectify their mistake. This will not only
lower your property taxes, but also tends to get Time Warner to cease
their criminal activities surprisingly quickly.

-- Daniel