[mythtv-users] Retuning dvb-t

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed May 27 14:47:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 27 May 2009, Steve Curtis wrote:

> I tried this over the weekend and my myth-backend does the scan, and at the end abruptly dumps me out of the myth-setup program.  When I go back in I don't see any changes.

I've found this only happens if you run mythtv-setup over a local X
connection. Tunnel it over SSH and all is well.

> So, tale of woe here, I then had to delete all channels and complete a
> full scan, then go into Mythweb and re-enter all the xmltv id's and then
> correct the channel numbers.  Incidentally, does anyone know why the
> channel numbers get some very odd numbers like 12801 for BBC2 etc?

If the channel number is already occupied, it'll use the PID as the channel
number. Furthermore, I think there's something odd going on with the NITs at
the moment, which (as I understand it) is where the channel number normally
comes from.

> I also noticed that a couple of channels had duplicate entries.  Trouble
> is I think one is from a weak transmitter, and in a couple of cases those
> channels are now unwatchable meaning I need to re-scan those back in.  But
> I don't want to go through all the above again, and I can't decipher from
> the duplicates what is coming from where.  I assume what I really need to
> do is just scan the multiplexes from our "Network West" transmitter? (I'm
> in Bristol, UK).

You might find it's just that some channels have changed their channel
numbers or (less likely) their PID.

Normally, an 'existing transport scan' over SSH is what I do to maintain my
MythTV channel table. Sometimes, I delve in via mysql or the mythweb to fix
oddities.

> Thanks,
> Steve

Best Regards,