[mythtv-users] removable storage questions

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Wed May 27 14:28:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, 27 May 2009, Mike wrote:

> and specify that directory in your storage group.  If
> /mythtv/filesystem1 is not mounted, the "mount point directory" on the
> parent filesystem, /mythtv/filesystem1, still exists, but
> /mythtv/filesystem1/recordings does not.  Therefore, Myth will skip that
> filesystem/directory when deciding where to record.

I see. Thanks for that suggestion--I think I get how this works. So, say
I've got 3 drives, one that is 40gb, one that is 60gb, and at 100gb. I'd
create the mount point for those, say, at /media/long-term. Then, on each
drive, I'd create a folder that's intended to contain all files on the
drive--folders with names maybe something like 40gb-recordings,
60gb-recordings, and 100gb-recordings, respectively. Each of those
directories would then be added as storage groups, if I've understood
correctly. Then, I could transfer over recordings to each as desired and
the system would be able to play them whenever the drive was mounted. But
the system would not try to record to those folders whenever the drive was
offline, since the folder would not exist. Sounds like the best approach
for my purposes so far.

Btw, what would be the best fs to put on these intermittently-present
drives that I intend to use for long-term storage?

Thanks,
James