[mythtv-users] VDPAU on CentOS 5 - Anybody?

Jacob Steenhagen jacob at steenhagen.us
Wed May 27 11:21:42 UTC 2009

Friedrich Clausen wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:50 AM, Jacob Steenhagen <jacob at steenhagen.us> wrote:
>
>> OK, so in my continuing saga, I have my 9500 GT card installed and did a
>> fresh install of CentOS 5.3 with the beta nvidia drivers and the trunk
>> MythTV packages both from atrpms-bleeding. I can get SD playback using
>> one of the prebuilt playback profiles (don't remember which one... I've
>> tried so much stuff) but anytime I try to enable VDPAU I get nothing but
>> errors... but not very helpful ones. The screen just sits there with
>>

> Are you using the stock CentOS kernel? I would try and compile a
> vanilla 2.6.29.4 kernel using the CentOS .config (of course some
> things won't match but you will get the important modules, etc). Then
> rebuild the nvidia drivers once booted off the new kernel and see how
> you go. I find I get best results (certainly with Lirc) when using the
> latest, stable Kernel.org kernels. For the rest of the system
> excluding nvidia and Lirc I use the distro packages.
>
> HTH,
>
> Fred.

I'm running the CentOS Plus kernel... and truth be told, I'd prefer to
stay with a packaged kernel. Once upon a time I did a vanilla kernel in
Redhat and regretted it down the road. But thanks anyway for the
suggestion.

--
http://jacob.steenhagen.us

This message is digitally signed with GnuPG using the Enigmail Thunderbird plugin.
My public key: http://jacob.steenhagen.us/gpgkey.asc (91DE47A9)