[mythtv-users] mythbackend missing recordings.

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon May 25 21:27:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/25/2009 12:44 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>

>> Hmmm...when we discussed missed recordings here:
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/361585
>>
>> I wasn't aware of what you're saying above.  The missed recording
>> thing has happened to me on rare occasions, but I'm almost certain
>> that when it did, I too got no recording at all with no errors in the
>> log...not a zero length file.
>>
>> In my case this was DVB-T recordings with properly configured HD-5500
>> cards using fairly current kernel drivers.  When it's happened it's
>> sometimes been with more than one show in a row on the same station,
>> and even with different cards of the three HD-5500s I have.
>>
>> Especially give how rare it is, it's hard to imagine that being a
>> configuration issue.  If/when it happens to me again, I'll make sure
>> to check if it's zero length or missing, but I'm all but certain they
>> were in fact missing altogether.  It seems to me that the same has
>> been true for others who've had this occur.
>
> IIRC, when my local CBS affiliate (channel 6_1) changed frequencies of its
> digital transmission (completely unscheduled thanks to the government's
> last-minute decision to make the transition a "soft" deadline--they've just
> been putting up a "we recommend you rescan frequently" message), I got no
> recording files for all the shows on that channel (of course) but there were
> no errors in the mythtv logs.  Instead, the errors showed up in the system
> logs.
>
> However, the interesting thing was that with the HD-3000 I was using, the
> effect was to not only miss the recordings on channel 6_1 in this way, but
> /also/ the recording that followed that recording (regardless of channel).
>  Trying to record from the frequency without the transmission somehow put
> the card/drivers into a state that prevented the next recording from
> working, too.
>
> A friend who's running Myth with the same OTA HDTV setup, but using the
> Avermedia A-180, only lost the 6_1 recordings.  His card didn't get into a
> bad state after the recording on the broken channel.
>
> However, since you're using the HD-5500, I wouldn't be surprised if it has
> the same issue as the HD-3000.  Since you don't seem to be missing a lot of
> recordings, I'm guessing that if this is your problem, the broken channel is
> an infrequently-used channel.
>
> So, my recommendation is to wipe your video source (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 --just the
> video source portion, not the capture card portion) and then do a full
> rescan.  You can try just rescanning without first clearing things, but the
> best way to ensure this is not your problem is to start from a known (empty
> configuration) state and reconfigure the channels from scratch.
>
> Mike

That's strange.  None of the channels where this occurred are
infrequently used for sure.  Every time it's happened has been one of
the major networks on the main multicast...channels I record virtually
every day.

In any case, I'm glad it's extremely rare.  That thread I linked to
before was the last time it happened (Dec 2008).

Tom