[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Support

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Mon May 25 14:18:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 10:13 AM, nik gibson <nik.gibson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently my cable provider applied 5c encryption to over 90% of my channels
> so my mythtv firewire setup is now almost useless.  As a result I ordered a
> hauppauge HD-PVR.  Unfortunately myth 0.21 doesn't support the HD-PVR so I
> compiled and installed the trunk version of 0.22 which I got running but was
> basically unusuble.  I had crashes, loading bars that never went away,
> extremely slow performance among other issues.
> Given the anticipation around 0.22 I was dissapointed and I hope it was
> issues with my setup as opposed to the quality of the trunk build.
>
> I'm wondering:
>

>    1. Is there anyone who has a working config with the HD-PVR, either
>    with trunk or patched 0.21?
>    2. Is my experience with trunk typical?  Is it too buggy to be used or
>    could there have been issues with my setup?
>
> Any feedback would be much appreciated.  If I can't get the HD-PVR to work
> with myth I don't really have any choice but to switch to SageTV or
> something else that supports the latest hardware.   I've been a loyal Myth
> user for over 4 years so I would hate to have to have to switch but I need
> to be able to record.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Nik-

I use an HD-PVR as my main recorder and it is quite stable.  What version of
trunk are you running and did you install the
DeviceReadBuffer-polltimeout.2.patch per the HD-PVR wiki's recommendation?

As a side note, this patch was just committed to trunk so if you update your
source and re-compile you no longer have to install the patch, but will get
the added benefit of better stability.