[mythtv-users] No Volume control with iec958

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun May 24 04:48:32 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/5/24 Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com>:
> MythTV 0.21 (Jean-Yves VDPAU repo)
>
> Using a ALSA:plug:iec958 I get successful sound output with a NVidia 9400GT,
> however I cannot get the volume controls to work (including mute).

Try with ALSA:spdif or ALSA:iec958 only...

AFAIK, a nvidia 9400GT won't do audio natively, so if using a
passthrough cable, it's just a matter of configuring spdif output.

what does aplay -l output ?

For the software volume to work, you must use "software" in the
default mixer settings (Settings -> General -> Audio page)

> Also AC3 Passthough just produces static.

probably not using the right audio device.
Make sure the passthrough device is properly set. If using my
packages, I've added some default entries there.. Try them all, surely
one will work