[mythtv-users] MythTV STB

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri May 22 14:00:26 UTC 2009

On Friday 22 May 2009 07:20:00 Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/22/2009 05:48 AM, Vitani wrote:
> > I was just wondering if you can buy a set-top box with a MythTV
> > front-end on it? I've got a back-end all setup and working, and I'm
> > currently using an Xbox with XBMC installed to watch my recordings
> > (just using standard samba shares - no scripts) however this solution
> > is not ideal (the main bug-bear being that I can't switch the Xbox on
> > with the remote).
> >
> > I know I could build one (a quick Google brings up many walk-throughs)
> > but I'd rather just buy a box online which I know will just "work".
> > Are there any out there?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_MythTV_System
>
> Can't recommend any (never actually seen any), but that's what we know.
> Feel free to add any others you may find.

Should you decide to go with any of these boxes, at least in North America,
make sure that it does not come with a pre-setup account for SchedulesDirect.
As I understand it, the end user must set up that account him(her)self, since
nobody has the right to resell the listings data obtained from SD.

I believe something like this was one of the reasons Tribune had problems with
the way the data was being used.

It's simple enough to set up your own account, but the pre-made boxes may be
targeting an audience for whom even this is too "geeky".

I may be wrong here, but that's my understanding of the matter, any
corrections would of course be appreciated.

--
beww
beww at beww.org