[mythtv-users] Absolute newbie stumped

Tom listmail at athenet.net
Thu May 21 21:05:38 UTC 2009

At 12:00 PM 5/21/2009 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Tom
><<mailto:listmail at athenet.net>listmail at athenet.net> wrote:
>I've been reading the archives at Gossamer and poking all over the web for
>enough info to just get started with MythTV. I've been at this for two
>months. All I know so far is that that I think I want two ATSC tuner cards
>and I'm thinking of starting with MythDora, since I have some passing
>familiarity with FC.
>
>..I go back & forth on the subject of front-end machine in the same box as
>the back-end, or two separate machines.
>
>So could someone point me at a recent list of cards known to perform well
>with Myth, with reasonably low extra hacking effort required?
>
>I can only tell you what I've done.  I've been running Myth for a few
>years now, but had to re-learn input cards a year ago when I moved from
>Europe to the US.
>
>1. I've got one Hauppage 1600.  It has an analogue and a digital
>tuner.  With a recent kernel works out the box.  I also have a HDHR which
>works great.
>
>2. I really like having a separate back-end.  One big, noisy server with
>lots of hard drives that's on 24x7 coupled with quiet small cheap
>frontends (I've got a mixture of an ATOM 300/8400GS running VDPAU, a mac
>mini, and some other ones).  Makes the design choices easier.
>
>3. I use Fedora 10 on my backend running a bog-standard -fixes that I
>compiled myself.  My frontends run Ubuntu with a mixture of self-compiled
>-fixes branches and one running the unofficial, unsupported VDPAU
>backport.  I started with a all-in-one (Knoppmyth), and have tried
>mythbuntu - but prefer starting with a bog-standard distribution and
>adding myth - especially if you want to run other things on it as well
>(which you may as well since you've got a machine running 7x24 now!).  My
>backend has been running Fedora now for a few years - and I've not found
>the progression from FC4 - F10 painful.  I can see the logic for CentOS -
>but frankly I'd rather upgrade every 6 - 12 months, than fight with a
>kernel that doesn't support
>my tuner card out the box.

My profound thanks to all that responded. I have enough info here to digest
for the next month. Thanks also for being kind to a n00b.

-Tom

-----
364. [Philosophy] Men at some time are masters of their fates. The fault, dear
Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves. --Julius Caesar, Act 1,
Scene 2.
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531