[mythtv-users] Just a two-lines playback...

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Thu May 21 14:26:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Andrea Giuliano <sarkiaponius at alice.it> wrote:
> Thanks for your kind answer.
>
> I'm using the debian-multimedia repository. I didn't know there were other
> repositories for multimedia stuff, I'll take a look.

I user named Tino has also been kind enough to provide a more recent
repository for MythTV libraries. See his last update post here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/375534#375534
(Thanks Tino!)

> Currently I'm using the UseFBDevice option in xorg.conf, but I also tried
> with intel and i810 drivers, same results.

I interpret 'fbdevice' as a generic frame buffer (feel free to correct
me if this is something else). What videocard do you have? Is it an
onboard graphics display? From your response I'm getting the
impression that maybe you don't have your xorg.conf optimized or
perhaps haven't installed the corresponding binary drivers? Generally,
the binary blob drivers are preferred for NVIDIA and ATI cards
(although hearing good things about the ATI open source driver for
hardware a couple years or more old). I assume you are using a
graphics chipset from one of NVIDIA, ATI or Intel. See the appropriate
Debian wiki (sorry didn't see anything specific for Intel but the T60
page has some info for using i810)
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary
http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Thinkpad/T60/lenny

> The problem affects mythtv (recordings and livetv), ogle and xine, but not
> mplayer, ffplay and totem. Flash movies work like a charm (I watch them in
> the browser, both Epiphany and Iceweasel).

What do you get from mythtv --version in the cli? If you in fact have
your xorg.conf setup appropriately I believe there is a fbdevice
option that would need to be compiled into mythtv. I'm not sure if it
is enabled by default and no very little about this other than I
remember seeing it when I checkout the source the other day.

Since it's affecting more than just mythtv I would guess that
xorg.conf tweaks would be the best/easiest place to start before you
go through the entire setup again with different repositories. If you
can get xine working I think mythtv should work too. If you just fix
mythtv then xine will still be broken, right?

I'm away from my system but will check to see if fbdevice option is
included in Tino's binary. I'll send you the device section in my
xorg.conf (probably no help unless you have an nvidia card - but most
things work automatically). It's going to be 12 hours or more before I
get chance to look at my system...
--
~pAul.

        all good things. all in good time.