[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Thu May 21 12:46:52 UTC 2009

David Lister wrote:
> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> Did you try to graph the numbers I posted when this thread was revived
>> most recently? See at the bottom of this message.
> Not different from graph [1].

Not?
RSS keeps growing and growing over a period of just over two weeks in my
numbers.
It's size more than doubles, even if you use the first proper
measurement after 24 hours (once every early morning) as a starting point.

 > This is the initial huge peak after which
> it drops and "levels out", as you say. > don't think that 266MB RSS is anything to talk about. Actually, that is
> not much by any standards - my stupid Firefox is 150MB RSS at this
> moment. If you underestimated HW requirements, it's your fault.

Wrong direction.

I wonder
> how much RAM you have alloted for this demanding task (MythTV).

The board can hold 1 GB. It has 1 GB.

> VIA CPUs
> and ITX mobos are all fine for toys,

You appear unfamiliar with VIA hardware.

> but if you used proper HW, fully
> HD-capable FE/BE HTPC

Why would I need HD-capable HTPC stuff for my small amount of SD materials?

When will this level out?
I've seen RSZ grow for over 21 days at roughly the same pace.
And as I say, if I let the backend run, the machine will start swapping
and will eventually crash.
So when will it level out at what size and why?

> I couldn't say how "normal" it is
> for mythbackend, but it's NOT a memory leak.

How do you know when stuff keeps growing in my numbers?

> As I said, the backed isn't
> even extremely inefficient memory-wise. :) That's all I can say from
> your graphs.

I only posted numbers.

(...)
> wouldn't be any bigger than an old VCR's and you
> wouldn't rile us here because of one application using 200-300MB RAM. :)
> Your and the 6-month graphs clearly show there is no leak.

The graphs were not mine. The numbers are. Please have a look.

Udo