[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu May 21 12:10:02 UTC 2009

Udo,
I've seen this discussion carry on and on multiple times. What I don't
understand is why you can't just build another machine to test this
on. Perhaps this has been answered and I just missed it, but what
exactly do you use your 24x7 recording system for? Is is for a
personal project (home PVR or something)? If so, why is it that you
absolutely cannot miss recording anything? I've had to take my
production mythbox down for an entire weekend before so that I could
work out some issues. Yeah you miss some recordings, but it's really
no big deal. Watch what you need live for a few days, or download a
couple episodes from a torrent or something.

Now, if this is for some mission critical application, I can
understand not missing anything. But in that case, if it is something
so critical, I'm wondering why you don't have a budget for a spare box
(after all, what would you do if the power supply on your current
system crapped out unexpectedly?).

My take is either this is mission critical and you should have a
budget for another system, or you are overstating the difficulty of
taking this system down so you can work out the problem.

I've been supportive of your project in the past. I've given you a
number of ideas (including your current method of the time windowing
in your power search so that scheduling didn't take forever and
mythweb didn't crawl). So please don't take me as someone who is
antagonistic towards you (as I suspect you may feel is the case with a
number of other people posting suggestions). I'm glad to help out, but
at this point this has gone on for a LONG time, and most people have
done what they can for you. You are the one who can most easily
replicate this problem, so you are the best candidate at providing
valuable logs or at trying to replicate it on a second system.

--
Ron