[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21 and seca3 encryption on DVB-S

David Lister foceni at gmail.com
Thu May 21 08:55:52 UTC 2009

Jelte Veldstra wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Robert McNamara
> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com <mailto:robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Jelte Veldstra
>     <jelte.veldstra at gmail.com <mailto:jelte.veldstra at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Yesterday I received my Seca3 replacement smartcard. I can
>     confirm that it
>     > works with MythTV (Phoenix smartcard reader, NewCS 1.65,
>     open-sasc-ng r63
>     > and MythTV 0.21 fixes). This setup may seem dodgy to some, but
>     is fully
>     > legit and not breaking the subscription terms.
>
>     Regardless of your interpretation of the legality of it where you
>     live, it's still against the rules of the list to discuss it.  It
>     would be nice to see a little respect for those rules around here.
>
>     Robert
>

> Sorry Robert (and others on this list). I wasn't aware that describing
> this setup was breaking list rules. I was aware that some people frown
> at such setups, which is why I added that comment. I will refrain from
> mentioning it here again as I do intend to show respect for rules and
> (n)etiquette.

Well of course they frown at it, they have to. Well, not "have to" have
to, they choose to. What would you do if you couldn't build your setup
properly and your "tuner" was a huge pricey box from your provider or a
hack like HD-PVR, because you were forced to use shit like irblasters
and firewire remotes? LOL. You'd be sitting here bitter like an old
spinster and making it harder for others with more skills or luck to do
it properly. Under the guise of "legal integrity", which is of course
bullshit. Take your DMCA and GTFO.

I'd rather buy crap like DM or IPBox and forget about MythTV, at least
it would be an honest DVB setup. There's nothing illegal about using
SoftCAM's where I come from, even my provider knows. Why the fuck would
any of you even want to deprive me of my natural right to free speech
and exercising it with other truly free people?

--
Dave