[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Thu May 21 08:52:05 UTC 2009

Nick Rout wrote:
>> It was suggested it was hardware related. And now it isn't?
>> As you may have read I am sceptical about the the hardware-related claim.
>> I do have slightly faster hardware around. Just not a DVB-T card or other
>> video source with a multiplex that I can use. For that I need a workaround.
>
> well until you get another card or a workaround, take a hint.

That would assume your hint was properly formatted and the contents
would be truthful and effective.
Your approach to problems is alien to me. So I need to adapt quite a
bit. Also, how well is your $random_language?
None of the questions I asked the cynic(s) in these recent messages were
answered. The info that other people brought in reconfirmed (at least
for a small bit) that the leaks issue is a general problem and not just
related to my 'extreme' way using the software.
I would expect that a developer with some sense of perhaps proudness
would run valgrind over their code. Not as a diagnostic but as a test
tool, *before* setting free the code. Now you push the burden of the
whole issue to the end user. And yes, you will argue that it's all a
volunteer thing. Sure, but the capable need to use their capabilities as
well, as I explained with the valgrind suggestion.
All I know is that problems will not go away by the way you present
yourself in this case.

As a constructive tip for the MythTV project: if your hardware is
capable enough, *and* if you are knowledgable enough:

Please run valgrind for a few hours or longer on your backend.

Unfortunately the wiki has no info about this:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=valgrind&go=Go
But I found some help about how to invoke valgrind:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Valgrind-HOWTO/closerview.html#usage
Doesn't look to difficult?
If valgrind finds anything, please file a bug so the developers have a
reason to fix stuff.
Thanks you very much!

Kind regards,
Udo