[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21 and seca3 encryption on DVB-S

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Wed May 20 22:44:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 6:08 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> How detailed did he get that he broke the rules?
>>> I.e.: what details can be revealed in a similar case without breaking any
>>> rules?
>>> Is that in the rules?
>>> Is that up to interpretation?
>>>
>>> Please clarify so I know how to behave here.
>>>
>>> (and yes, I only receive FTA stuff)
>>>

>> "Similarly, discussion of the use of softcam to decrypt encrypted digital
>> broadcasts ... is prohibited."
>>
>>  From the point open-sasc-ng was /mentioned/, it became off limits.  Note
>> that the rule does not state that "detailed discussion" is prohibited.  All
>> discussion is prohibited.
>>
>>  Why not quote the whole sentence, Mike? if you do, you'll find that it
> can be read another way:
>
> "Similarly, discussion of the use of softcam to decrypt encrypted digital
> broadcasts or *any other means of obtaining programming illegally* or
> through means which may be a violation of copyright laws or terms of service
> is prohibited."

Serious question:
Why is discussion of playing encrypted disks with mythvideo (nee mythdvd)
not immediately yelled at and banished from the list?

Usually it's "we don't support decss, but if you link to it we can't stop
you."  Why is sasc-ng different?  I completely understand why an intro of
"I've got 15 cams I downloaded from...." is banned, but not why dvd (and
blu-ray) discussion is not banned.

I've even seen people linking to sites and talking about anydvd for getting
rid of copy protection on blu-rays (in the vdpau threads) without rebuke!