[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed May 20 21:45:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> Look you say its a generic myth problem, not related to your hardware.
>
> You can interpret it that way.
> `ps` shows the memory as beloning to the backend.
> What hardware-related memory would be counted towards the backend?
>
>> So buy a DVB-T card (they aren't too expensive) put it in your
>> desktop, emulate your setup, run valgrind.
>
> 70 euro's last time I got mine, excluding the antenna and screwing with my
> desktop. For that purpose I dug up an old spare pc.
>
>> Once you have done something constructive to help sort out the problem
>
> Implicitly you dismiss the info about my mind boggling setup as being
> non-constructive.
>
>> You'll also know whether this really IS a problem, or whether its your
>> VIA box that is the problem.
>
> See above.
> How to diagnose? Why diss VIA? Please give a technical explanation why the
> memory counted towards the backend by `ps` is caused by hardware.
> MARK MY WORDS: I'd *gladly* *understand* and if possible have the bugs fixed
> elsewhere.
>
>> Thats the only way you are going to see some action, unless you happen
>
> You don't understand the reason for posting the update.
> As you know, mythtv is under continuous development. Therefore stuff might
> be fixed, changed, etc in the areas that cause the memory consumption on my
> system.
>
>> that's a doubtful prospect.
>
> A) don't act like I forget things that quickly
> B) please interpret stuff the other way around, now that you know about the
> `complexity` of my setup (1 DVB-T card, 1 multiplex, 3 SD channels, 1 power
> search for 24/7 recording)
>
>> Otherwise be quiet (please).
>
> Of course problems will disappear that way...

All I am saying is that:

a) you claim its not a hardware problem but a generic mythbackend
problem, because other people see it too; and

b) it therefore doesn't matter what hardware you run valgrind on; and

c) if you want to get this fixed you have to find some way to  run
valgrind, I simply made some suggestions as to how you might get that
done. (buying a card and finding a more powerful computer to run it
on.

d) otherwise, to echo another poster, put up or shut up!