[mythtv-users] mythbackend still eats memory: the current status

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Wed May 20 18:43:53 UTC 2009

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 20/05/2009, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't had the time to look into it any further than monitoring
>>> memory usage and disabliing active EIT last year (I did this 2008-07
>>> after initial investigation and the graph is available at
>>>

>> http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/mbe-mem-usage-active-eit-disabled.png)
>>
>>  EIT appears to play a certain role there. Over here the issue was already
>> happening before I enabled EIT, but still EIT was in need of fixes at time
>> of that graph.
>>
>>  Hmmm.
>>  No VIA problem.
>>  No Terratec problem.
>>  No Fedora 10 problem.
>>  What remains?
>>
>>  And who can run valgrind?
>>  Can you?
>>

> No promises, but probably over the summer when the box is doing a lot
> less recording, and I have more time available. Although my results
> posted earlier in the thread show that there does appear to be
> mythbackend memory growth over time, it has not been large enough to
> cause any real issues that impact its usability.
>
> The machine should be powerful enough to run valgrind (although I will
> have to see during testing) and I will post any results to the list. I
> will probably keep that 'production' box on 0.21-fixes for testing,
> but I have a second box to play with that I could put trunk on and see
> if I can see the same symptoms with that. I'm also planning on doing
> some XMLTV-related MythTV development over in the next few months, so
> I will be running trunk for that.
>
> Nick

I know it's been said many times but the only way I can see this being
fixed is if someone who can reproduce it can get a valgrind log. See
ticket #6525 (http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6525) for example. With
a decent log the problem was diagnosed withing a few hours of the ticket
being opened and fixed in less than a week.

Just saying it's leaking over and over again doesn't help anyone. The
reality whether you like it or not is none of the devs are likely spend
any time on this unless someone shows willing and provides a log.
Basically put up or shut up :-)

Paul H.