[mythtv-users] Advice on buying DVB-C card with CI support

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Fri May 15 12:24:29 UTC 2009

Allan Stirling wrote:
> Mark Wormgoor wrote:
>> I have the KNC1 (older version with TDA10021). I'm running this without
> ... <skip stupid mention of thing that you should know not to mention here>
>
>> I'm not sure what the deal with this card is, or why it's bugging me.
>> It could be my setup, but I can't get it 100% stable. I think it's due
>> to the SAA7146 chipset. Love the comment on the wiki
>> (http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Philips_SAA7146): "This hackish
>> approach works surprisingly well in most setups, and only a few have
>> problems with high data loss."
> The wiki page is completely incorrect. The TS is passed straight through
> the DEBI port on the 7146.
>
> I have seen this issue with some cards and certain chipsets / PCI
> bridges. Basically nothing will help apart from changing platforms or
> capture cards.

Hmmm, that's akward. This is actually not too bad of a mainboard
(Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R, Intel G33 chipset - combined with an Intel Core 2
Duo E6550 - CentOS 5 64-bit). Seems like the card is sometimes
struggling to get the data across the pci bus, but I only record SD,
which is between 5 and 8 Mbit/s (depends on channel). That shouldn't be
a problem.
The capture card could be a problem - got it through E-bay :)

Kind regards,

Mark