[mythtv-users] OT: 5.1 headphones??

Deyan mythtv at bektchiev.net
Fri May 15 02:59:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 5:29 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> 2009/5/15 Erik Hovland <erik at hovland.org>:
>>>
>>> Since there are only two speakers w/ headphones any 5.1 headphone setup
>>> is
>>> going to be a bit of cleverness.
>>
>> I may state the obvious, but you do realise that you only have two ears ?
>
> One of the interesting things about the human ear is its shape actually
> conveys some position information -- besides the left/right info we get from
> having two ears, the shape of our external ears alters the frequency
> response in the front/back and up/down direction, and our brains use this to
> help determine the positions of sounds.  So the idea that a pair of
> headphones could approximate a surround sound experience isn't totally
> ridiculous.

This is true, however Dolby apparently has a technology that would
convert any regular pair of stereo headphones into 5.1 system by
playing exactly with the frequencies and the delays from the different
channels so you could have the same effect with only two speakers -
http://tinyurl.com/8kv5w . It still requires a special receiver though
and I have not ones that are capable.

--dejan