[mythtv-users] COMCAST change to digital (was Re: Charter moving around QAM channels)

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Thu May 14 21:31:37 UTC 2009

As I just mentioned in passing emails, I rcv'd Comcast's letter today
saying that my area (SF SouthBay) will cease analog channels 2-34 on
June 15

Note on the top right of the letter is this text:

"Please note that this network enhancement is not related to the
federally-mandated Digital Broadcast Transition, which is currently
under way and will be completed by June 12,2009"

For the conversion, I decided to undergo a two-pronged approach:
1. Get a STB with 1394 and use that for acquiring signal and changing channels
2. Get a ir blaster to use with one of the free Pace DTAs to change
the channel and connect the output o my PVR-250 (which is currently
connected to comcast analog)

Item 1 was not too hard. It took me a few days to configure, but I
figured it out and it's recording. One interesting thing was that I
received ALL channels on the STB (maybe a way to entice you to buy
more). but only the Enhanced Basic channels were able to record via
1394.
Item 2 is not complete (yet). I purchased an  IR blaster from
irblaster.info, but I haven't got it flashing at all (see recent
threads). I don't know what to do about this. Seems others have had
similar problems (problem = it doesn't work)

--
Brad Fuller