[mythtv-users] external power supply rant (Was: Zotac ION M/B..)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed May 13 21:07:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Andrew Burgess wrote:
>
>> Plus you can plug the wrong wart in and fry things...
>>
>> I plugged a usb hub into 12V once and cooked it, the keyboard and the
>> mouse. Luckily the PC was ok.
>
> I'd forgotten about that.
>
> At work we've got a BIG box of assorted power supplies that have been
> collected over the years. Of course, a lot of them are "some unknown Chinese
> brand you've never heard of" so you've no idea what they might have been
> for. And if you are lucky enough that the manufacturer bothered to label
> their equipment with the power requirement (those that don't should be
> shot), sods law says that when you find a supply with the right voltage and
> current rating ... the darn plug doesn't fit.

Ditto. I moved house recently and my son packed u a whole lot of
electronic/computer gear. Very nicely unplugged everything and wrapped
the wires up nicely.

Unfortunately I had two Linksys devices, a WRT-54GL router and a SLUG
file server. Two wall warts, both labelled Linksys. Took a while to
figure out which went with what, particularly as I couldn't get on the
net to check voltage requirements (which were not on the devices)
without the WRT-54.

Myself, I would have left the wallwart plugged into the device, but
I'm an untidy so and so...