[mythtv-users] Storage Groups - Disks often get over used when others have free space

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Wed May 13 10:44:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have three disks in in my default storage group, which is the only one I have.
>
> For some reason, it is common for myth to record to one of those disks
> despite there not being enough space for the whole show and although
> there is space on the other two disks.
>
> For example, there was 549MB left on disk 1 this morning, yet tonight,
> myth started recording a 45 minute SD show and it ran out after about
> 15 mins.  Not good :(  There were other recordings occurring at the
> same time.  I also do have the storage group setup to save 7GB of free
> space, but that doesn't seem to help.

I have been looking at my setup.  I have now removed all of the
symlinks from the drive that used to be the primary drive so maybe we
will see some improvement soon.

The source of the problem seems to be though that myth will still
record to a drive in the storage group even when the minimum space
threshold has been exceeded.  There are about 30GBs of recordings that
can be expired from the deleted group, but they are all on the one
disk it seems.

Is there any way to prevent myth from selecting a disk that is below
the threshold as a storage device?  Alternatively, I need a cron
script that runs every x minutes to move recordings from a full disk
to a disk that has expirable recordings on it.

Obviously, the best bet would be to use autoexpire on more recordings,
but the problem is that I will lose recordings that I have not watched
yet.

Cheers,
Whytey - The easily confused.