[mythtv-users] mythtranscode and the HD-PVR

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue May 12 18:38:15 UTC 2009

Christopher Meredith wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:10 AM, belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>> Christopher Meredith wrote:
>>> I know that we don't currently have lossless transcoding of HD-PVR
>>> recordings. But do we have any form of transcoding? I have a script
>>> that converts the MythTV cutlist to an EDL for use with mencoder, but
>>> it is not as precise as I am used to.
Could you provide this script ?
I would be interested to see if it gives the same results as projectx,
which has/is the same quality of cutting as mythtranscode, but also
unable to work with HD-PVR material, only MPEG2 stuff.
  Even if I have to reencode, it's
>>> worth it to me to have the frame-precise cutting function.
>> Mythtranscode AFAIK doesn't do frame-accurate cuts, only GOP-accurate.
> Does that mean that the cuts I'm getting with mencoder and an EDL is
> as close as I'm going to be able to get anyway?
You can do frame-accurate cutting but then you first have to make ALL
frames to I-frames. In PAL-land every 12th frame is an I-frame, so the
average cut is 6 frames off being 1/4 of a second, I don't think it's
worth the trouble.
  I've seen the other