[mythtv-users] Record both HD and SD versions of shows

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 12 03:13:48 UTC 2009

On 05/11/2009 10:13 PM, Nick Nobody wrote:
> On Monday 11 May 2009 21:15:40 Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 05/11/2009 05:39 PM, Nick Nobody wrote:
>>
>>> I have both HD and non-HD capable frontends; would it be possible to make
>>> MythTV record both versions of a show?
>>>
>> Yep.  You just need 2 different recording rules for it.  Now you may be
>> thinking, "How in the world do I make 2 different rules for the same
>> show?"  All you have to do is make the more restrictive rule first (i.e.
>> the one that says to /only/ record HDTV episodes).  Then, find an SDTV
>> episode of the show--which will /not/ be marked to record--and select
>> it.  It will allow you to create a new rule.  Since newer rules take
>> precedence over older rules when priorities are otherwise equal, you
>> probably want to decrease the priority of the SDTV rule (to -1 or -3 or
>> whatever) so that the HDTV rule still matches the HDTV episode.
>>

>>>  Right now I've got to stick with the
>>> lowest common denominator which is SD, but it would be nice if I could
>>> get both.
>>>
>> See, also,
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/312900#312900 for how
>> to tell Myth to re-record all of your existing recordings in HDTV.
>>
> It doesn't seem to work for me, would you mind looking over my procedure?
>
> - Delete previous schedules for the show in question (in this case, Nova)
>
> - Select an HD version of the show from the listings page (using mythweb)
> - Select: "Record at any time on channel WCFE-HD."
> - Set the recording priority to 1
> - Set the preferred input to my ATSC tuner
> - Select "Update Recording Settings"
>
> - Select an SD version of the show (same title as the previous one)
> - Select: "Record at any time on any channel."
> - Set the recording priority to -2
> - Select "Update Recording Settings"
>
> When I view my upcoming recordings, the SD versions of the shows don't get
> recorded. Did I do something wrong?

You'll need to either a) set the duplicate check method (of the rule
that matches the later episode) to None (or both rules if sometimes SDTV
airs first and other times HDTV first) or b) manually re-activate the
"Earlier" recordings you want (i.e. the ones that are set to not record
because it's recording an earlier version).  Yes, this is the downside
until the multiple file functionality Raymond mentioned is there.

If it were me, I'd set the rule I care least about (i.e. the SDTV
one--perhaps the HDTV one for you) to inactive, then I'd use the
inactive rule to flag the upcoming SDTV episodes and manually do
recording overrides to record only this showing with dup check set to
none (but only do this /after/ it records the episode from the rule with
dup check enabled).  That way it wouldn't go crazy recording every
single showing of Nova (since there are so many reruns).

Mike