[mythtv-users] Record both HD and SD versions of shows

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue May 12 00:31:13 UTC 2009

Nick Nobody wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have both HD and non-HD capable frontends; would it be possible to make
> MythTV record both versions of a show? Right now I've got to stick with the
> lowest common denominator which is SD, but it would be nice if I could get
> both.
At the moment, no.  There was some talk of allowing multiple files on
one recording instance, so you could transcode into lower resolutions
for other devices, but nothing ever came of it.  In Canada, the best
you're going to be able to record is MPEG2 at 19mbps, which is fairly
trivial anymore.  You can put together an upgrade (motherboard w/ video,
CPU, memory) that will have no trouble doing broadcast HD for ~$100.