[mythtv-users] Initial foray into Mythtv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 11 14:50:48 UTC 2009

On Monday 11 May 2009 08:47:36 Fred Squires wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Matthew Keefe
>
> <learningtehlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't personally see the need to run the frontend 24/7.  Can the
> > backend not properly function without the frontend to manage the
> > scheduling?  Powered off seems like a better option than powered low.
>
> No, the backend doesn't need the frontend for scheduling.
> The main reason people leave the frontend running is long start up times.

I wonder how many Myth systems are combined FE/BE systems. Obviously these
have to be up pretty much 24/7.

I suspect many systems are combos with another F/E or two.

There has been a lot of discussion of how to suspend and wake-up systems here,
as well as how to spin down drives, which seems to be related to backends

--
beww
beww at beww.org