[mythtv-users] Backend crash with malloc(): memory corruption (fast) PLUS Frontend Crash with readStringList: Error, timeout (quick)

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat May 9 20:13:45 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards wrote:
> Update.  Another crash this morning.  My wife is not happy.  I
> rebooted and it started working then the frontend crashed.  Now she is
> really unhappy.  Does anyone know what is going on?
>
> Again, I have Mythbuntu 8.04
>
> I am posting the backend log from last night and the frontend log from
> this morning.
>
> -------------------BACKENDLOG-----------------------
>
> 2009-05-08 03:07:54.100 UPnpMedia: BuildMediaMap VIDEO scan starting
> in :/var/lib/mythtv/videos:
> 2009-05-08 03:07:54.123 UPnpMedia: BuildMediaMap Done. Found 16 objects
> *** glibc detected *** /usr/bin/mythbackend: malloc(): memory
> corruption (fast): 0xa611bc6b ***

It could be a coincidence, but I had a similar backend crash last night
at the start of a recording.  Memory corruption (fast).  Sorry I don't
have logs, this is just a me-too.

I don't remember seeing this before.  fc10 running Yeechang's current
build (0.21-207.fc10_bijou20090410 at x86_64) from ATrpms, but without
VDPAU hardware.  The backtrace included references to nvidia180.51.

myth and nvidia packages had been running well in their present form for
several days, and seem ok now, but I did have a power outage earlier
yesterday and a substantial fc10/kde update a few days earlier.

John P