[mythtv-users] trying to split mythtv mpg file fails.

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Sat May 9 16:20:02 UTC 2009

William Kenworthy wrote:
> Hi, how can I split a 3 hour mythtv mpg file that is nearly 9 Gbytes
> into two 4.5G byte files?
>
> mpgtx and ffmpeg fails as the stream seems to be non-standard.
What is the source according to mediainfo. If it's a DVB from myth and
if it's a recent version of ffmpeg then
A. mediainfo -f  source.mpg | grep "Frame count" gives you the amount of
frames, devide by 2. Also grep Duration.
B. ffmpeg -vframes outcome of above -i source.mpg -vcodec copy -acodec
copy -f mpg 1sthalf.mpg
C. ffmpeg -ss half of Duration -i source.mpg -vcodec copy -acodec copy
-f mpg 2ndhalf.mpg