[mythtv-users] Recognising Freeview UK 'signed' programmes

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri May 8 20:57:03 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:
>
> > On 08/05/2009, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
> >
> > > The 'Programme Details' info read from the EIT data and displayed in
> > >  MythTV 0.21 doesn't identify those programmes, often transmitted after
> > >  midnight, that have a sign-language interpreter on screen.
> > >
> > >  I'd like to know this when trying to resolve recording conflicts.  Does
> > >  anyone know if the info is present, and accessible to Myth, in the EIT
> > >  data?  Or via mythfilldatabase?
> > >

> > My patch attached to
> http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4122 added
> > support for flagging programmes as having deaf signing to MythTV, and
> > this is supported by the XMLTV tv_grab_uk_rt grabber. Ticket
> > http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4125 added some support
> to MythWeb
> > for the same.
> >
> > If using uk_rt, using a power priority rule to raise the priority of
> > programmes having signing, such as:
> >
> > program.subtitletypes LIKE '%SIGNED%'
> >
> > should help to ensure that showings of programmes that have signing
> > are preferred to showings without. However, due to the delay of BBC1
> > showing programmes during the Sign Zone, your system may well record
> > the regular showing of a programme first.
> >
> > I am planning up submitting a patch for the custom rule editor to
> > catch all signed programmes.
> >
> > I'll post an update regarding EIT support, once I have looked through
> > the EIT code (thanks danielk on #mythtv). The UK-specific EIT fixup
> > removes "SL" from the description, which I am guessing is abbreviated
> > "Sign Language". It should therefore be possible to update the fixup
> > to populate the subtitletypes field appropriately.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nick
> >

>  Thanks, Nick.  I hoped that my 'does anyone know' would raise you :-)
>
>  In fact I would prefer _not_ to watch the signed programmes - the
> interpreter is intrusive unless you need the service - but I couldn't
> reliably find the info needed to make the choice.

That's precisely why I submitted the patch and added the functionality
to XMLTV. I put a -5 priority on the power priority rule and the only
programmes I can see having recorded with in-vision signing was the
first half of the first season rerun of Mad Men.

It looks as though it would be fairly straightforward to parse the
information out of the EIT description data - I'll run it by stuarta
on IRC once I understand it a little more and get another patch
submitted.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott