[mythtv-users] Fedora 10 trunk compile error

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu May 7 17:19:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 12:56 -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> I am reasonable sure that GLenum is defined somewhere in /usr/include/GL
>   so why this fails is obscure.

It's even more obscure than you think. I have consistently had this
problem on this machine. I had the same issue on an old Fedora 8
installation, and again on a brand new Fedora 10 installation (on a
separate partition, not an in-place upgrade).

> I did a quick 'grep -R -H -n GLenum *' from /usr/include/GL and it
> spewed out an incredible number of lines....

I get a large number of hits too.

> You did not, perchance, install a version of the nvidia (proprietary)
> driver?

No. This is an ATI machine. I got this problem both before and after
trying to install the ATI proprietary driver (and in fact installing the
ATI driver completely hosed X on this system. X.org is too new and the
Radeon 9800 card is too old. I had to revert to using the "radeon"
driver. As a result, my old 3D games (Descent3, Heavy Gear II) no longer
work. That alone may motivate me to completely replace this old machine,
since it is unlikely I can find an AGP card that is still supported by a
3D-capable driver anywhere any more. It is my main desktop and has
served well for several years.

>  Because something is seriously wrong. You appear to be missing
> at least one header file, but which one is not so clear...

Yes, I have not been able to figure it out either.

At this point, it's not worth a whole lot more work if I am the only one
who has ever seen this. I did get mythfrontend installed on this system
by compiling the code on a different machine and make installing it from
there.

--Greg