[mythtv-users] trouble with built in player

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Thu May 7 15:46:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 10:23 -0500, Stephen Shelton wrote:
> I've created a user job that will transcode files to xvid. It works really well, and the files play
> perfectly in xine. They choke, however, when playing from mythfrontend. Most of the time, it messes
> up while trying to skip forward and back, and just exits back to the previous menu. Often playback
> can occur normally for most of a show, but it almost always will do *something* wrong before a show
> can finish. It occurs at random places as well, never the same place in a file. Playback over
> mythweb seems to work fine.

[snip]

> I've never seen issues when playing back non-transcoded files.
>
> Thanks to anyone who can provide a useful hint!

Have you accounted for the recordedseek table? If you transcode a file
I'm think the seek info will be useless. I'm guessing when you try to
seek it tries to jump to the byte offset in the table, which is not the
start of a GOP or equiv hence the garbage. The position could be
drastically wrong because the size will be significantly different. The
seek data would need to be removed and possibly rebuilt (mythcommflag
--rebuild <filename>) if mythcommflag can deal with xvids.

Steve