[mythtv-users] mythtv + nfs = bad?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 6 23:55:26 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 13:51:20 James Oltman wrote:
> My NFS problems were a little more bizarre.  I even asked about it on this
> mailing list, but no one got back to me.  I don't remember what kernel this
> was with, but here's the issue as it stands.
>
> I was NFS mounting my backend videos/music/pictures folders to my frontend.
> The videos folder has several ISO files (made from DVDs I own).  They are
> mostly all above 4GBs.  I would be watching a movie and then it would stop
> randomly in the middle of the movie (or about 3/4 through).  I looked at
> file size on the FE compared to the BE and saw that the file sizes were
> different.  I couldn't figure out what the deal was.  I finally moved to
> CIFS and am not having any more issues.  I'd like to go back to NFS, but if
> there are still issues, I don't want to deal with them.  Any ideas?

What version of NFS?

I think NFS v.2 (client side) has a 2GB file size limit, which means it can
only look at the first 2GB of a file that's larger than 2GB.

Version 3 supports larger files, but obviously it depends on the filesystem on
the server side, if it were FAT, for example, a 4.7GB file would be a
problem.

There is also a limit on the size of a transfer "on the wire", which depends
on whether TCP or UDP is used, and the particular implementation.

Large files and NFS can be problematical, make sure you understand any limits
of your server and client NFS versions, as well as the filesystem in use.

Google "nfs file size limits" for more information.

--
beww
beww at beww.org