[mythtv-users] Anyone having autoexpire problems with trunk?

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 22:44:01 UTC 2009

On 5/6/09, Michael Rice <mikerice1969 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  This morning I noticed I was getting low on disk space and looked to
>  clean up a few things.  I noticed we had quite a few Antique's
>  Roadshow episodes and set the max episodes to 3.  I also set two of
>  the episodes to "Do not expire".  So I expected the autoexpirer would
>  get rid of all but 3 (two of which were the ones I set to not expire.)
>
>  Shortly thereafter I saw the log scrolling with many many expiring messages:
>
>  2009-05-06 08:50:39.768 AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free
>  Space: 12.0 GB w/freq: 15 min
>  2009-05-06 08:50:39.799 Expiring 1998 MBytes for 5310 @ Thu Apr 30
>  22:59:00 2009 => Frontline.  Too many episodes, we only want to keep
>  3.
>  2009-05-06 08:50:39.813 autoexpire: Expired program: Expiring 1998
>  MBytes for 5310 @ Thu Apr 30 22:59:00 2009 => Frontline.  Too many
>  episodes, we only want to keep 3.
>  2009-05-06 08:50:39.817 Expiring 1244 MBytes for 5766 @ Mon Apr 27
>  09:59:00 2009 => 30-Minute Meals.  Too many episodes, we only want to
>  keep 3.

It looks like this was a "user error".  It is unfortunately results in
pretty massive destruction and is probably not hard to do.

Background:

I've added a custom rule to re-record programs in HD when available
(based on something someone posted here awhile back).  It's very nice.
 So originally this "30-Minute Meals" was recorded in SD but later it
rerecorded with the custom rule.

Problem:

Wow! We have too many "30-Minute Meals"... I better limit those to 3.
Go to my recordings, pick one of the recordings, edit recording
schedule, storage options, maxepisodes 3.   Not realizing what I was
doing I changed the maxepisodes for the custom rule and not the normal
rule.

So the next time the autoexpirer ran it thought (rightly so I guess)
that I only wanted 3 episodes for the custom rule and proceeded to
start deleting 40+ recordings.

I guess to prevent this the recordid from the re-recorded program
should be changed to the original recordid.

But in general a normal rule and custom/power rule both could record
episodes of say "Seinfeld" and from the recordings it is not easy to
tell what rule it actually came from (at least I am having a hard time
finding it in the Terra theme). Danger!  Danger!

I guess I better figure out a way to prevent this or get rid of my
power rules...