[mythtv-users] DVD Catalogue ?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed May 6 00:17:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Paul <paul at paulhurley.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I'm running Myth (Mythbuntu 8.10) and it's working great. I would like to
> manage my phsyical DVD collection via myth as well.
>
> Ideally there would be an add-on that lets me catalog my DVD's in myht the
> same way Myth Video does, getting details from IMDB and getting cover art
> etc and let me store where the DVD physically is.
>
> Anyone else doing anything similar ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul.

Hackish solution:

1. choose a file extension that doesn't relate to a real video format
like .realdvd

2. make a file where mythvideo can find it containing the location of
each of your real dvd's eg

mkdir /var/lib/mythtv/videos/realdvds
echo "hall cupboard" > /var/lib/mythtv/videos/realdvds/kill\ bill.realdvd

3. set up .realdvd as a filetype in mythvideo with the custom player
as a script that will pop up an xterm with the contents of the file
(in large typeface). something like

xterm -e "cat %s"

May be better to use a different term, eg konsole, but that would
involve some experimenting. I think I used konsole for a similar thing
because I could set the default font quite big. You can probably also
set the background to something that looks like the current theme.

4. Use the normal imdb/tmdb tool to populate your database.

5. When you go to "play" the file the xterm/konsole will pop up
telling you where to find the dvd. Of course the kids may have lent it
to a friend/left it in the dog kennel/eaten their big mac off it/be
using it as a wheel on their model chariot, which I think is why many
people tend to rip the dvd (and treat the physical as a archive/backup
copy).

6. Extra for experts: write a script to automate this when you put a
DVD in the drive, or via a custom menu entry.

Addendum: a plugin that was scriptable and would pop up a window in
the current myth theme and allow it to be written to would be useful.