[mythtv-users] Myth segfaults: how to troubleshoot further?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue May 5 18:49:08 UTC 2009

I was getting segfaults when I built my current machine. It happened
anywhere from daily to weekly. I ran memtest and it found no errors. I
kept working at it for a few months with no luck. Finally I set it to
run memtest all day long. On about the 7th pass through it finally
found an error. Turned out the motherboard had an intermittent problem
with one of the sockets. And it was strange in that it always happened
in a particular address range, and it only happened on a couple of the
tests that it runs (tests 5 and 7, I think). Once I narrowed down the
address range where it happened, I ran memtest repeatedly on that
small address range (so that it only took about a minute to run all
the tests). I let it run a few hundred times, and never got an error
except for those couple of tests, and only on about 1 out of every 8
or 10 passes.

The moral is, memtest usually finds any problems right away, but
sometime it needs to stress it a bit more.

--
Ron