[mythtv-users] mac mini overheating

Jurgen Kramer gtmkramer at xs4all.nl
Mon May 4 19:04:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-03 at 17:13 +0200, Jarle Thorsen wrote:
> 2009/5/3 Wouter van Atteveldt <wouter at vanatteveldt.com>
>         Dear MythTV users,
>
>         I am configuring a fairly new core 2 duo Mac Mini to use as a
>         MythTV
>         front end. I've installed ubuntu using refit following one of
>         the guides
>         around, and that seems to work pretty well.
>
>         Unfortunately, after using it for around an hour or so it just
>         stops
>         functoning and refuses to boot, the back and bottom are really
>         hot. I've
>         installed lm-sensors and typed 'sensors' a couple times and
>         the
>         temperature was running up even when I was not or hardly using
>         the
>         machine. I only saw one fan that was running at 1500 rpm
>         constant.
>
>         I know there are some people around here use a mac mini for
>         myth tv. Do
>         other people have the same problem? Are there general ways to
>         prevent
>         this problem, ie underclocking the CPU / using a ram disk
>         instead of
>         hard disk (since it's front end only) / increasing fan
>         speed / ...?

I have a 2009 Macmini which I use as a MythTV frontend (Fedora 10
x86_64). When I first boot it, it shows:

applesmc-isa-0300
Adapter: ISA adapter
Master :    1496 RPM  (min = 1500 RPM)
temp1:       +28.5°C
temp2:       +28.0°C

After recompiling mplayer and playing a H264 encoded 1080p movie using
VDPAU it shows:

applesmc-isa-0300
Adapter: ISA adapter
Master :    1495 RPM  (min = 1500 RPM)
temp1:       +42.8°C
temp2:       +42.2°C

I have not seen a higher temperature then 44C but my ambient is only
about 20C.
So far I have not experienced any boot problems.

Jurgen