[mythtv-users] OT: 3 week old HDD "Clicking" ??

Rob Smith mythtv-users at kormoc.com
Mon May 4 18:20:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:08 AM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> Hiding information from customers is one way to avoid warranty returns, I
> guess.

In this case, this has increased bad warranty returns.
Raw_Read_Error_Rate, Hardware_ECC_Recovered, and Seek_Error_Rate all
cycle up a few hundred thousand 'false positives' a day. I kept
returning drives to Seagate for prefail conditions (when every block
on the disk misreads a few hundred times, it's bad imho). They finally
bothered to tell me that those numbers are just counters for something
else and doesn't indicate any actual failed requests...